Auto Getaway is a top down, vehicle based obstacle avoidance game, which was made using Microsoft’s (now defunct) XNA game library.
Players attempt to reach the furthest distance possible, avoiding crashing into an infinite stream of randomly generated obstacles, all whist collecting fuel and ammo. A drop in multiplayer option, includes a police car chase attempting to impede the other players progress.
The game was created as a first year university project, and was developed using the C# programming language, with Microsoft’s XNA 3.1 game library. The task was to create a “2D vehicle based game” with the following requirements:
- Parallaxing backgrounds
- Collision detection (both rectangle and per-pixel)
- Ability to avoid, shoot, and collect objects (in at least four unique waves)
- Animated sprites
- Playable via keyboard and Xbox 360 controller
- Multiplayer capability
- Scores and pickups displayed via a user interface
- Music and sound
- Good use of Object Oriented Programming
*Note that the game only runs on Windows XP/Vista/7 due to Microsoft removing support for XNA in later versions of windows